It is easy to use, it has a simulation mode to see «what would have been done». It works also on very large trees since it doesn't build any in-memory list of the files. It is meant to work as a backup tool that can be started with a single click, for everyday use.
If sync is too simple for your needs, you should consider Vincent Delft's DirsSync.
(Implemented in sync)
- sync and Unicode filenames (Fixed bugs 03.01.07) — sync had still some problems with certain Unicode filenames. more
- sync now accepts "\\computer\path" as source or target (feature 11.12.06) — sync no longer refuses to work if either source or target was specified as UNC filenames (using the "\\computer\path" syntax). more
- removed --progress command line option of sync (12.10.06) — Removed sync's command line option "--progress" because it was no longer used.
- UnicodeEncodeError in Sync when exefied (Problem reports 06.10.06) — There is still a UnicodeEncodeError in the exefied version of sync when using it on a machine with French locale. more
- some timtools broken in 0.6.20 (Fixed bugs 21.09.06) — I noticed that sync, openmail, openurl and sysinfo don't work in release 0.6.20. more
- Sync broken in 0.6.20 and 0.6.19 (Fixed bugs 06.09.06) — sync was broken timtools 0.6.20 and timtools 0.6.19. Sync users should not install these releases. The problem is now fixed. Here is how it looked: more
- Removed useless i18n warning (code changes 28.04.06) — i18n no longer prints a warning when there is no tranlation to the user's language. Because on systems with a non-supported user language, tools like sync were almost unusable.
- timtools 0.6.15 released (Releases 06.01.06) — New sync features for a customer.
- sync no longer recurses into subdirs (24.11.05) — sync no longer recurses into subdirs by default. Users must now specify the new command-line option -r or --recurse to get the old behaviour.
- about the showProgress option for sync (requests for help 14.03.05) — sync has a command-line option «showProgress» which shows a percent indicator instead of a simple rotator. It has the disadvantage that sync must scan the source tree and count the files before actually start working. And this can take some time on a big tree. more
- frozen console applications with non-ascii chars (code changes 10.03.05) — I started to translate some messages for sync.py, using i18n. I noticed that there was a problem with non-ascii chars, at least on my Windows box. more
- lots of changes (code changes 26.02.05) — Converted sync into a Task. UI: New method verbose() is what info() was before. Method info() now as warning(). Changed info() calls to verbose() calls.
- discovered DirsSync (surf notes 17.02.05) — I discovered and tried DirsSync by Vincent Delft. Seems really great, and I'll consider whether this can replace sync. more
- sync completely rewritten (code changes 17.02.05) — I rewrote sync.py completely. It no longer collects the actions to perform (delete, copy, update) before actually doing them. There is a "simulate" option.
- started using 0.6.3 (Releases 16.02.05) — I installed 0.6.3 at anon 4 who uses sync to transfer data between two computers using a USB stick. Minor problems observed: (1) not enough information about what is going on, (2) analysis continues even if no space left on destination, and no way to interrupt.
- release 0.6.3 is out (Releases 15.02.05) more
- worked on rsync (code changes 10.02.05) — I noticed that «lino rsync -rtd 1\ 2» doesn't work as the original rsync. Started to invade Vivian De Smedt's code in order to find a solution or work-around. more